Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Jammin' Time

It's been nice to get back to making jam - altho I have not gone as wacho crazy as I did last year - when I ended up with more than eight dozen (sic!) jars of yummy good jam and pickles!  I hate to even think how many cups of sugar I used! 
A quick chop and into the pan.
This year I've held it down to small batches of jam from raspberries, black and blueberries, blackberries, cherries and plums, peaches, and the annual favorite tomato jam.  All recipes are from the wonderful Food in Jars blog and cookbook.
Roma tomatoes cooking down with spices, lemon juice and sugar.
There really is something satisfying about the process, plus the bonus of good jam all year for toast - or to give away.  And all of these recipes make small batches (3-6 jars) and can be done quickly
This is Stone Fruit Jam, not tomato.  Just one of many!
without special equipment.  I use my 12-in fryer to cook down the jam and my soup pot for sterilizing the jars and the actual water bath.

2 comments:

  1. My, that looks delicious! And not too much of a hassle. You might have talked me into trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love raspberry jam! That on some buttered toast with a cup of tea is such a nice treat :)

    ReplyDelete