Finally. Another project done.
Once I decided that the Emerald arborvitae was not coming back, I started planning to re-do the area. Its death is totally on my hands. I did a poor job of teasing out the roots and then did not water enough. I know better. They need two (two!) inches of water a week for the first six months - at least! - sometimes longer, and i forgot it last winter. [That's the big drawback of planting in the fall. Who wants to water in the winter?] I promise to do a better job this winter. Seriously.
The last couple of weeks in September were really gorgeous here, but i was unexpectedly busy at work and not able to steal extra time in the afternoons to work outside.
Two weeks ago - tiller all serviced and ready to go - i gathered plants and mulch and set to work. First, tilling the entire area - which was not so easy given the large root system still under ground.
Then I laid out the plants. The pot is a place saver for the tree. Then I moved that large clump of 'Lady's Mantle' from the left side and spread them out to form the back "border" of this bed.
|You can see the remaining root in the center. Am hoping it will rot quickly now that I have tilled out so much of it's root system.|
This is a shady area with a few hours of sun in the summer, so i am trying to bring color using greenery and contrast.
In addition to the arborvitae [Thuja occidentalis 'Emerald Green'], i put in a dozen lilyturf [Lirope 'Variegata'] and three Mocha Heuchera [Heuchera x villosa PP 18386]. Then i have left enough room between the plants and the foot path to put in some annuals next spring. Am thinking a begonia with the green and white variegated leaves.
Unfortunately - actually it was fortunate - the rains came before i could get the mulch down. It took two weekends, but the bed is finally done and mulched. All that remains is to remember to water - two inches a week!