Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thanks, Mom!

Mother Nature had a gift this morning - two, actually.


After ten years of producing a handful of blooms, this camellia has come into its own this spring. Now a three by four shrub it is finally covered in blooms. They appear to be a compound blossom - single outer petals, but a very double center.


And, while this forsythia is not technically mine - it lives just across the "line" in my neighbor's yard - it is still mine to enjoy. When it blooms - apparently yesterday - spring is really just around the corner. I wish it got a bit more sun and a bit more attention, but I can't really tend it like I think one should.

My neighbor is 96 and still works in the yard as she can. Her parents once owned all the land of our neighborhood as part of their farm. When she married, she and her husband moved into the house next door and there she has lived "forever". She still plants a bit, digs a bit, rakes a bit - and walks laps around the perimeter nearly every day. While I would be happy to help more, I think it keeps her going to have the garden and yard to care for. I notice that she does let me weed the iris bed, but that's about all!

Today is April in early March. Still a bit of a cool breeze, but we have had showers all day with more predicted - perhaps a downpour. The flowers certainly do need it, but I hope it stays sporadic so that the ground can absorb more and it doesn't all run off. It's in the high 50's today and smells like warmer weather. Definitely a step in the right direction.


For years I have taken the Tete a' Tete daffodils and moved them around the yard to "make more". Suddenly they are everywhere! poking their tiny heads out from around and under all sorts of plants. It's just the effect I wanted. By next year when they have a chance to multiply in all these new spaces they will be wonderful. Here they're hanging out the the first of the phlox. (The messy looking stems on the right are the hyacinths I had in the house last month. I hope they will rebloom outside next year.)

Here's one final present from me to you - happy Sunday!



10-10-10

Down 16 pounds today! and lost nearly 6 inches in the waist, abdomen and hips. Still not down a whole pants size (rats!) but am starting to put my biggest pants in the Goodwill pile.

And, as much as I hate to say it, I miss exercise on days when I can't fit it in. That is the most totally weird statement I have ever made.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for that beautiful gift of the camellia! What a gorgeous flower! I am glad that spring has sprung for you too; it is great to see life popping out again everywhere.

    I am cheering your 10-10-10 success. Keep it up and also you will still be gardening at 96!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! The camellia is BEAUTIFUL!! And y'know, there is the Camellia Society not far from here - about 20 minutes away. And Neal and I went last July, but it was too late to see much of anything. You just reminded that I need to plan myself a trip for the next 2 weeks - especially since we have been having typical GA weather and EVERYTHING is in bloom. We got that rain all day yesterday and even though they were predicting thunderstorms, it was just a steady drizzle - perfect for the plants!! I hope that's exactly what you get. And I will count myself SO lucky if I can be gardening and walking laps at 96. That is simply amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful first blooms of Spring.

    16 pounds. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I can't wait for spring to arrive in Wisconsin. My garden is still covered with snow.

    16 pounds that is fantastic. Weren't you only trying for 10? I signed up with one of those on-line calorie counting sights yesterday. It is really helpful to see how many calories I am actually consuming. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - way to go on the weight loss! That's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the Camelia is fab. Your neighbour is fantastic at 96 and still gardening. The weight loss - sob (I'm trying!) Well done you! Sinead

    ReplyDelete
  7. All, thanks for the encouragement. And, Savvy, I wish it were only 10 pounds. The final goal is 30-35, so I am about half way. Trying to think in two-pound increments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely story about your neighbour pottering about her garden at 96! My Mums the same she a fit 81 and still insists on doing a little bit a day x

    Well done on the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful present! I'm ready for all the blooms :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the present - it's just what I always wanted! :-). You know I'm always fascinated by your beauteous green thumb. And now you are a fitness diva to boot! (heehee). Keep up the great work on all fronts!

    ReplyDelete