Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Event

You may recall that I have been anxiously awaiting the first blossoms on my fledgling magnolia tree - 'Rose Marie'. More than two weeks ago I worried that it would bloom during the weekend that we were out of town.

What Mother Nature gives with one hand, she often takes away with the other. And, in this case it was my blooms. The cold snap - remember the snow? - caused the bloom to slow down and wait for me to return to watch it open, but it damaged the blossom. It should be a deep rose color, not the washed out pink, and you can see that there is considerable cold damage on nearly all of the petals.

There is a second blossom that is nearly a week behind the first in maturing, but we are due to have mid-30's tonight, so I fear a similar fate for that one.

On the other hand.... what is it that keeps us gardening? It's the promise of a better crop next year! This tree is only three years old and these are her first two blossoms. [Clearly she is a "her" since she is having babies!]

I can only imagine what she will be like next year with maybe a dozen flowers - and maybe no late cold snap!

4 comments:

  1. Can you wrap the new bloom somehow, so it is protected in the cool night? Rose Marie certainly does show promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good idea. I'll see if I can find something - like bubble wrap maybe... thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother nature is a cruel woman.

    maybe we shouldn't have been poking fun at her last week.

    it's freezing cold here, better say we're sorry.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you are having it bad there at the moment... although slightly flawed she is still beautiful and as you say there is always next year x

    ReplyDelete