Friday, August 9, 2013

Summer of 2008

I wasted the entire Summer of 2008.

It's an old story.  You know it well. 
The successful small, local company where I had worked for 15 years had been bought several years before by another small, successful company in a neighboring state.  They in turn had been bought by one of the big boys - really big boys.  

As ofter happens in arranged marriages - err, mergers - things did not always go well.  
"You don't understand me!"  "You never want to do what I want to do!"

By 2008, our little outpost had become more isolated and its value was only as a cash cow.  And then we lost the contract that provided a big chunk of the cash.  Suddenly, we were very expendable.  And expend they did.  With the required 60 days notice, they just shut us down.  Gone.  Fifty plus full time employees and nearly 100 part timers out on the street.
July 1st and nothing to do.  Well.... nothing except find a job.

It was a lovely summer.  Cooler than normal temperatures.  Less humidity.  Blue skies.  Long afternoons that could have been spent with an iced tea and a book on the deck.
Instead, it was OMG I have to find a job.  Prowling the want ads.  Sending out resumes and cover letters.  Trying to network.  Working with the folks at outplacement and the Employment Commission.  Writing references for co-workers and commiserating on the phone.  Always feeling that a minute spent relaxing was a minute spent not finding a job.

Slowly, normalcy returned and October 1st brought me a new job happily working for my previous boss and helping to start a brand new company with all the excitement and heady success of a new enterprise.
I've always regretted wasting that summer.  The comfortable, sunny afternoons not spent enjoying the garden, not sipping a drink on the deck. 

Just wrapped up our big summer project last week and have promised myself that I will not waste the rest of the Summer of 2013 - yet another summer of lower temperatures, lower humidity and blue skies.  I promise that you will find me every single afternoon spending at least an hour outside  - just enjoying this glorious time and place.
No more regrets!

3 comments:

  1. Webb, I am glad all worked out . Enjoy your lovely gardens... enjoy your todays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I hear you there! Got to be working! I married a teacher in the early 70's when they were 1 dime/dozen. Wrote resumes while living in a tent. Later, Dan and I saw our company go from 24,000 to 8,000, after both of us had put in 20+ years. We survived, but it was a narrow escape.

    With age comes wisdom, right? I am happy you are taking some time now to smell those roses and other flowers. Breathe deeply!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s always difficult when life gets in the way of life.

    I’d like to think that as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned to take the time to enjoy life. Maybe I’ve just modified what it is that I do to breathe? No matter how you do it, it’s as long as you take the time to recharge that’s important.

    ReplyDelete